DonateContactNewsletter                      

Articles of Interest

More About WAMO

Steinfeld Warehouse Interior, February 2013

Excerpted from the book, "Citizens Warehouse," published spring 2013.

by Ann Vargas
Vice President, WAMO

A Brief History of Citizens Warehouse

Citizens Warehouse

Citizens Transfer and Storage Co., Inc. opened in 1907 as a cartage and drayage business, delivering goods and merchandise from the railroad, by horse-drawn wagons, to homes and individuals throughout the region. In its early days, Citizens was located on Congress Street, including a location at the intersection of Congress Street and Stone Avenue.

A Brief History of the Steinfeld Warehouse

Albert Steinfeld

Constructed in 1907 and designed by architects David and Jessie Holmes, the Albert Steinfeld & Company Warehouse was built for prominent businessman Albert Steinfeld (pictured at right). German-born Steinfeld owned a number of local businesses, including his most successful venture, Steinfelds department store. Located at 101 West Sixth Street, the warehouse was adjacent to the Southern Pacific Freight Depot, making it an ideal location for the delivery and storage of merchandise for Steinfeld’s other businesses.